After a long cold snow and ice filled winter its essential to inspect the exterior of your home. There are various problems that could have occurred during the winter months that you were unaware of.
- Check loose or leaking gutters. Snow and ice can put added stress on your roof and gutters. Loose gutters can cause water infiltration into your home.
- Inspect the grading against your foundation. A negative grade toward your foundation will promote water infiltration
- Inspect roof shingles. Shingles that are cracked or missing the granules need to be replaced.
- Check around doors and windows for cracked caulk or cracked “J” channel.
- If you have a chimney, inspect for cracks or signs of movement. Fill in cracks with concrete filler or silicone caulk. Also a good idea to have the chimney cleaned.
- Check exterior hose bibs for freeze damage. One way is to plug the opening while the water is running; if the water stops you may have a leak in the line somewhere.
- Service your outside air conditioning unit.